COLLABORATION, INNOVATION, COMPETITION
What is the Legal Apps Hackathon
In the current era of technical disruption, the key challenge for us is to find ways to replicate our market leading legal expertise in the age of the algorithm. By focusing on concepts such as legal design, design thinking and our R&D programme, we are ready to rise to this challenge!
The Legal Apps Hackathon is an important part of our strategy to provide students from third level education with a platform to innovate. To achieve this, McCann FitzGerald have teamed up with award winning expert system development platform Neota Logic, to create a first of its kind event in Ireland.
This is your opportunity to be part of the future of law! Can you build a machine that thinks, fast?
The winning team receives a cash prize of €2,000 and the accolade of having designed an innovative, commercially applicable app.
*Please refer to T&Cs for further info on the app’s usage.
Applications from students from a variety of backgrounds are welcome, no coding experience required.
Date and Location
Date: 24 and 25 March 2018
Location: Riverside One, Sir John Rogerson’s Quay, Dublin 2, D02X576
You may apply as a single applicant or in teams of two to four. Single applicants will be grouped into teams based on complementing backgrounds and experience by the McCann FitzGerald in-house recruitment team. You will be notified of the outcome of your application on 05 March, 2018 . At this point you will need to confirm which topic from the list of legal topics provided on the website you have chosen to form the basis of your legal app. This information will inform what team you will work within during the 24 hour Hackathon.Directions
If selected to participate in the McCann FitzGerald Legal Apps Hackathon, you’ll work in a small team with other students. Each team will be assigned a McCann FitzGerald Legal Solutions Architect or Associate who will have experience in the area of law your app is designed around. Neota Logic representatives will also be present to aid you with any technical queries you may have. You will have 24 hours to design and build an expertise-automation app (rules-based AI application) that provides tailored guidance to users on a complex legal question. The following are examples of the types of topics you will be able to choose from.
You will be tasked to design a solution in one of the following topics:
- Competition Law
- Corporate Law
- Data Protection and Privacy Law
- Intellectual Property Law
- Funds and Derivatives
How much preparation is required?
Not much! Prior to the event, you’ll be asked to:
1. Complete a one-hour online tutorial that introduces the Neota Logic toolset, which your team
will use at the event to develop your app from scratch without coding.
2. Read some background information on your selected topic.
The Challenge is to develop a legal application in 24 hours using Neota Logic AI driven software.
You will work in a team of four.
One laptop with the Neota Logic app design studio will be provided to each team.
BYOD – You can also bring your own devices to use for research. Each team will present their application to a panel of McCann FitzGerald partners and industry experts on Sunday, 25 March at approx. 12 noon.
Applications for the Legal Apps Hackathon competition are now closed. We will contact all applicants in due course.
Neota Logic is a drag-and-drop software development toolset that enables the automation of advice, intelligent workflows, and documents. Organisations use Neota Logic to build apps—without coding—that automate expertise at any level of complexity. The apps support good decision-making and execute critical services while reducing risks and costs. Neota Logic has offices in New York, London, and Melbourne. For more information, visit http://www.neotalogic.com
Competition Terms & Conditions
By registering and participating in the Legal Apps Hackathon you agree that:
- You will abide by these terms and conditions, and any rules of the Hackathon that are made available to you by McCann FitzGerald, or communicated on the day of the Hackathon.
- In consideration of McCann FitzGerald facilitating your participation in the Legal Apps Hackathon, you hereby assign and transfer to MF Connect absolutely all your right, title, and interest in and to your entry to the Hackathon, including by way of present assignment of future rights.
- You will not infringe any third party intellectual property rights in the creation of your entry to the Hackathon.
- You enter into the Hackathon as an individual, and not in the capacity as an employee or director of an incorporated or unincorporated business or company.
- McCann FitzGerald will be entitled to use your name, image, likeness, photograph, video, description of your entry and biography on its websites and social media accounts for promotional purposes, and in connection with third party press articles, blogs and other promotional activities.