Brian is an expert in commercial litigation and dispute resolution. He focuses on large scale commercial disputes across a range of sectors including banking and financial services, asset management, energy and natural resources and the public sector.
He also advises on the insurance and regulatory issues, administrative law disputes and related judicial reviews including statutory investigations and enforcement, insurance disputes in particular professional negligence claims, partnership disputes, asset recovery following fraud and property disputes including landlord and tenant claims.
His clients include bodies regulated by the Financial Regulator for the provision of financial services, investment funds, entities the subject of fraud and State bodies.
Key highlights include advising:
- A plc in defending claims against the it brought by former consultants concerning international oil & gas entitlements with a value of in excess of $2 billion.
- Two individual investors in a claim for recovery of €30 million lost in an investment scheme.
- A public body in proceedings brought against where it is alleged that the public body pursued a claim against the defendant maliciously by way of an abuse of civil process.
- A financial institution in relation to an investigation commenced by the Central Bank of Ireland, as its regulatory body, concerning allegations of mis-sale of payment protection insurance in breach of its regulatory requirements contained in the Consumer Protection Code and advising a redress scheme.
- Irish Nationwide Building Society in successfully defending proceedings brought in England by subordinated bond holders seeking a direction for the winding up of the Society, in Ireland.
- The group of investors seeking recovery of funds from Mr Breifne O'Brien who channelled them through what the Irish Commercial Court described as involving a 'ponzi type' scheme.
- VHI in defending proceedings brought against it alleging dominance.