Many complex legal issues arise for the healthcare and social care sectors and tailored and innovative legal advice is required.
Our multidisciplinary team understands the opportunities in the sector, as well as the challenges faced by entities operating within the healthcare industry and have long experience of delivering the necessary specialist advice. Our team is structured on a cross departmental basis drawing expertise from Banking and Finance, Corporate Transactions and Corporate Advisory, Tax, Real Estate, Construction, Regulation and Disputes. This allows us to advise clients operating in the sector and also to provide the full breadth of advice required by clients looking to invest in the sector.
‘What is really helpful and which can be overlooked is the ability to be able to speak to non-lawyers and explain complex legal matters in a way that doesn’t have to be amended.’The Legal 500, 2022
‘Solution driven and not afraid to make a decision on grey areas. The individuals I have spoken to have been incredibly approachable, responsive and well received by non-legal stakeholders too.’The Legal 500, 2022
‘The team is excellent and demonstrates great availability and resourcefulness. The firm has also been very creative in its billing practices.’The Legal 500, 2022
‘The lawyers we work with in McCann FitzGerald are very knowledgeable, helpful and supportive of our needs in this area.’The Legal 500, 2022
‘They are all very hard working, turn material around very quickly and make themselves available for discussions/consultations at very short notice.’The Legal 500, 2022
The experience of our Healthcare team spans all facets of the Irish healthcare market including hospitals, nursing homes and social care providers, primary care, pharmacies and private health insurers. We provide advice to many of the key stakeholders in the Irish healthcare industry - ranging from state and semi-state bodies, private healthcare enterprises, private equity and institutional investors, and developers - in relation to:
- Corporate structuring
- Commercial agreements
- Regulatory compliance
- Risk management
- Real Estate and construction matters
Key highlights include advising:
- Advised German-based IMMAC Group on its acquisition of numerous nursing homes in Dublin.
- Acting for nursing home operators in connection with the negotiation of charges payable for the provision of long-term residential care services under the Fair Deal Scheme
- Advised a French investment fund, SCPI Pierval Santé in relation to tax and property implication on the acquisition and lease back of a number of nursing homes to various operators.
- Acted for Five Arrows Private Equity, the private equity arm of Rothschild Merchant Banking, in relation to the management buyout of Centric Health, a primary care medical and dental services provider.
- Completed the successful authorisation and launch of a new ICAV for AMP Capital (a global real estate investor) and Irish Life, which will invest in primary care centres around Ireland.
- Advised in relation to the sale of SISK Healthcare Group to Uniphar Plc.
- Advising in connection with investigations of corporate fraud in the healthcare sector, in particular allegations of overcharging as between private entities and private and State owned entities
- Established an ICAV in Ireland for PHP, a FTSE 250 listed company in the UK, and acted in relation to numerous subsequent transactions involving the acquisition and development of primary care centres.
- Advised on tax and pensions aspect of HarbourVest Global Private Equity’s acquisition of the Mater Private Hospital.
- Advised AXA in relation to tax structuring of AXA acquisitions in this space.
- Advising healthcare operators and insurers in connection with a range of regulatory compliance matters, to include providing legal and strategic advice in relation to the issues arising and managing engagement with regulatory bodies;
- Advising in connection with internal investigations and acting for health care operators in connection with Health Services Executive (“HSE”) investigations into, inter alia, alleged improper and fraudulent claiming practices and others entered into by the operators and the HSE. Those contracts provide for the reimbursement by the State for prescription drugs and products dispensed pursuant to State assistance schemes.
- Advised Bartra Healthcare in relation to aspects of their nursing home operation.
- Acted on the disposal of Nua Healthcare to Icon Infrastructure.
Select how you would like to share using the options below