Michael is Head of the firm’s Dispute Resolution and Litigation Group.
Specialising in complex restructuring and insolvencies, Michael has played a key role in the most significant restructuring cases in this jurisdiction over the last 20 years, frequently involving cross-border issues. Michael is a member of Insol Europe and has written and lectured extensively on corporate restructuring and on Ireland as a restructuring destination.
Key highlights include advising:
- Key aircraft leasing companies, financiers and shareholder in the Norwegian Air examinership which was used to implement a significant fleet reduction and restructuring of US$5 billion of debt.
- Nordic Aviation Capital on its landmark Irish scheme of arrangement which implemented a standstill with 89 different lenders with a total debt of approximately US$6 billion. The scheme was subsequently recognised and enforced in the US.
- Asia Pulp and Paper Group in the restructuring of over US$1 billion of debt through Irish schemes of arrangement and in the subsequent application for recognition of the schemes in the US.
- Assured Guaranty in relation to the Irish scheme of arrangement and compromised liabilities of Ballantyne Re Plc to noteholders.
- Senior lender groups in the chapter 11 filings of Skillsoft and Swissport, which, in both cases, involved the restructuring of over US$2billion of debt.
- Pernix Therapeutics and its Irish subsidiaries in the group debt refinancing/restructuring using a chapter 11 restructuring.
- The trustees of the British Steel Republic of Ireland, the Arcadia Group Ireland and Lufthansa pension schemes.
- PwC in the examinership of the Bradleys Pharmacy Group and the secured lender the successful petition for the appointment of an examiner to the Cara Pharmacy Group.
- Sisk, the successful investor in the examinership of Vision Built Manufacturing Limited.
- The official liquidator of Custom House Capital Limited (in liquidation) on all aspects of this complex liquidation where over €56 million of client assets were misappropriated.
- Petroceltic in the shareholder led examinership of the group.
- Commercial Court litigation for the joint receivers of Dan Morrissey (Irl) Limited (in receivership) and for NAMA in enforcement proceedings against a number of high profile borrowers.