Boasting one of the largest dedicated commercial real estate teams in Ireland, our specialist lawyers advise across the full spectrum of property-related issues.
We advise on the sale, purchase and financing of commercial properties including large office buildings, industrial properties, shopping centres and hospitals. We are adept at complex, novel areas of law, involving tax, development and working within specialist sectors like energy, private finance initiatives and health care centres.
We advise domestic individuals and companies on secured lending transactions, project financings, bankruptcies and restructurings that contain significant real estate components. In addition, we have, over many decades, garnered an international reputation for excellence, which has won us many instructions both directly from internationally recognised real estate institutions and indirectly where we work with the top law firms in foreign jurisdictions.
Our clients include institutions, banks, government agencies as well as international companies and investors.
The firm is excellent. Its technical knowledge in parallel with commercial acumen allows clients to make decisions, safe in the knowledge that all matters have been thoroughly thought through both legally and economically.Chambers, 2016
Matters we advise on include:
- Real Estate Development: We advise clients on a range of projects including mixed-use urban regeneration projects, headquarter buildings, retail and leisure projects, shopping centres and other landmark projects in Ireland. Our lawyers continue to handle all relevant disciplines, from advising in relation to planning and environmental law requirements to drafting state of the art construction, funding and leasing documents.
- Real Estate Finance: Focussed on the funding of domestic real estate in all its forms, McCann FitzGerald acts for the leading financial institutions, investors, developers funds and non-traditional landers as well as having a wide and deep experience acting on the borrower side. We are active in all sectors of the real estate finance market including investment, development and structured financings, originations for CMBS and principal financing.
- Real Estate Investment: From buying and selling of dry income-producing assets to more complex investment properties, establishing investment vehicles (such as real estate funds), joint ventures, partnerships, co-ownerships and limited partnerships, we have decades of experience behind us in complex and high-value transactions. We also possess cross-border investment experience for advice and structuring. Advice on the associated finance and tax aspects of all real estate investment is a key element of the team’s offering.
- Real Estate Leasing: We have been involved in several of the most significant transactions in the lettings market over the past few decades, representing banks as occupiers, acting for institutional landlords, tenants and retail clients. Often we are the firm of choice for foreign entities looking to establish their Irish presence and headquarters and our track record on such high profile transactions is particularly impressive. Our experience of landlord and tenant issues often involves teams from across the firm from licensing and disputes to tax and banking.
Key highlights include advising:
- Ardstone in relation to its sale of the Velasco Building in Dublin 2, off-market and pre-completion, to Irish Life plc
- Central Bank of Ireland in relation to its acquisition and completion of a new HQ building on Dublin’s North Wall Quay, as well as the disposal of its former HQ at College Green, Dublin
- Global Student Accommodation on the acquisition, financing, construction and leasing of five student accommodation projects in Dublin (a relatively new sub-sector in our market)
- Hines and King Street Capital in relation to their ongoing interests at the substantial Cherrywood development in South Dublin
- Hudson/Lone Star on the JV development with Castlethorn in Adamstown development and Portmarnock development (with Ballymore)
- Kennedy Wilson in relation to its recent purchase of a substantial office building in South Dublin
- Primary Health Properties REIT, a fully listed, established, UK-based REIT with over 260 primary care centres under ownership in the UK, on its two Irish deals to date (primary care centres are a relatively new sub-sector in our market)
- Quadrant TIO on the development finance elements for the construction of an office block and a mixed use development in the South Docks
- The funders of Blackstone’s acquisition of the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre, Dublin