Construction and Engineering
Our Construction and Engineering Group is one of the largest specialist practices in Ireland encompassing both commercial and contentious expertise. Recognised by clients and peers as a market leader, we have advised on some of the most complex and significant transactions of recent years.
We give our clients expert advice through every stage of the construction cycle, from procurement strategy, contract structures and contracts negotiation through to professional appointments, PFI/PPP project agreements and development/funding arrangements. We also advise on risk management, problem solving and all forms of dispute resolution.
We have advised leading public and private sector clients on a wide variety of projects, ranging from construction schemes to highly technical engineering projects with a strong project finance element.
McCann FitzGerald is a consistently outstanding practice boasting impressive strength in construction work. The law firm regularly assists with procurements and contractual mandates.Chambers 2023 (Band 1)
‘McCann FitzGerald LLP has a strong construction team with excellent sectoral knowledge and a commercial outlook.’The Legal 500, 2023 (Tier 1)
‘McCann FitzGerald's advice is always measured and balanced, and they always have our commercial interests at heart.’Chambers 2023
‘A very solid team all round, headed by a widely experienced and highly respected partner grouping. The construction practice has built up its team across all levels of seniority and invested heavily in recruiting rising stars in the last couple of years to the benefit of its clients in terms of responsiveness and fee management.’The Legal 500, 2022
‘They offer a very good holistic service across all areas of development from planning consultancy to site acquisition, construction contracts, professional appointments and dispute resolution. They are a very collegiate and forward-thinking practice, and extremely solution orientated.’The Legal 500, 2022
We advise on the full spectrum of construction and engineering activities, including:
- Procurement strategy, including EU procurement issues
- Drafting and negotiation of construction contracts, professional appointments, bonds, guarantees, collateral warranties and associated documentation
- Contracting alternatives, such as framework and partnering arrangements
- Risk analysis and management
- Bonds and securities
- Project insurance
- Project administration
- Construction dispute management, including litigation, arbitration, conciliation, mediation and adjudication and other ADRs
Key highlights include advising:
- Central Bank of Ireland on the development of its landmark HQ in Dublin
- Global Student Accommodation, a global developer of student accommodation in relation to construction of four sites across Dublin
- John Sisk & Son (Holdings) in relation to a number of developments including Capital Docks (a landmark office, retail and residential development) and data centres
- National Paediatric Hospital Development Board in relation to the procurement and construction of the New Children’s Hospital, Dublin