Agri-Food and Drinks
Agri-food and drinks is one of Ireland’s most important indigenous industries, with substantial opportunities for improved market access and growth. Our team provides innovative, expert advice to clients across the sector.
Our lawyers understand the agri-food and drinks industry. We work with leading domestic and multinational agribusinesses on a range of legal and regulatory issues and advise on some of the sector’s largest and most challenging transactions.
We represent a broad spectrum of clients, including dairy and livestock producers, co-ops, food processors and retailers, drinks distributors and suppliers. We provide advice on all stages of the manufacturing process through to end-sales to consumers and interactions with regulators.
‘McCann FitzGerald's 'first-class' team has acted on M&A transactions involving some of Ireland's leading businesses, as well as advising on joint ventures, restructurings, investments and corporate migrations. Areas of expertise include the… agri-food and drink… sectors.’The Legal 500, 2020
‘Hugely respected Irish firm. A symbol of excellence and professionalism. Strong market awareness and very clear advice. Always prepared to challenge commercial basis for strategy.’IFLR 1000 2019
Our agri-food and drinks team advises on:
- Commercial agreements
- Commodities trading
- Competition and tax
- Corporate governance
- Food law
- Foreign investment approval
- Funding and trade finance
- Infrastructure access
- Intellectual property
- Investment structures
- Mergers and acquisitions, including private equity and joint ventures
- Property ownership and usage issues
Key highlights include advising:
- BWG on the acquisition of:
- 4 Aces Wholesale Limited, Corrib Foods, Heaney Meats Catering Co Limited, ADM Londis plc., Keatings Newtown Limited and Morris Brothers Distributors.
- DIAGEO and Coca-Cola on numerous transactions and commercial arrangements.
- Fulfil Holdings Limited in relation to an investment by AIB Development Capital and the Hershey Group.
- Irish counsel on the acquisition of RHM by British food manufacturer Premier Foods plc in a share/cash deal valued at $2.44 billion.
- Pallas Foods, Ireland’s leading food service distributor and a wholly owned subsidiary of Sysco Corporation, on its acquisition of specialist wine, spirits and craft beer distributor Classic Drinks.
- Irish Country Meats (ICM) (the leading lamb processor in Ireland) in connection with the acquisition by ABP Group of Slaney Foods (including ICM);
- Lakeland Dairies on:
- on food labelling issues identified post-Brexit, in particular on rules of origin.
- the merger of Lakeland and LacPatrick, the largest merger of Irish dairy processors in the last two decades.
- McDonald’s Restaurants on:
- its portfolio of Irish properties.
- trade mark ownership and licensing matters in connection with advertisements, marketing campaigns and online promotional activities in Ireland.
- the general principles and requirements of food law under the EU Food Law Regulation, Single Use Plastic Directive and the Implementing Regulation.
- guidance published by the Food Safety Authority of Ireland, including the FSAI Transport and Delivery Guidance, the FSAI Safe Catering Pack and guidance on the key principles of the HACCP.
- Irish Distillers Limited on food labelling requirements under the Food Labelling Regulation, the Spirits Regulation, the Coffee Directive and the Flavouring Regulation.
- EQT Partners GmbH in Carrying out diligence in relation to the acquisition of DDW, Inc. (a company operating in the production of food colourings).
- Diageo on the interpretation and application of the Public Health (Alcohol) Act 2018 and the Public Health (Alcohol) Act 2018 (Sale and Supply of Alcohol Products) Regulations 2020.